The California Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation (IECMHC) Network staff has seen an increase in demand for consultation to early learning and care programs and providers since the original CIBC project was formed in 2009. During the 2019-2020 program year, the IECMHC Network received 162 requests for consultation in center-based early learning and care classrooms. These requests resulted in 143 program consultations that consisted of 395 visits to program sites.
The IECMHC Network has specialized, experienced consultants are available to conduct virtual and on-site visits in communities across California, including rural and remote programs.
Highlights from the 2019–2020 program year show:
- Onsite and virtual consultation reached 459 center-based early care and education staff and 13 family child care staff.
- Onsite consultation reached 2,491 children in center-based programs and 58 children in family child care programs.
- Of the staff responding to the post-consultation survey, 82 percent of center-cased and 100 percent of family child care respondents agreed that the CIBC consultation was worthwhile.
- In this same group, 93 percent of center-based staff reported that their consultant was knowledgeable, 85 percent reported that their consultation provided helpful resources, and 84 percent reported that their consultant made relevant referrals when needed.
- 75 percent of family child care providers reported that their consultant was knowledgeable, 100 percent reported that their consultant provided helpful resources, and 100 percent reported that their consultant made relevant referrals when needed.
- 89 percent of center-based staff and 100 percent of family child care providers reported greater confidence in working with children with challenging behavior and special needs after receiving CIBC consultation services.